Posting Date: 2/18/2019
WHO IS GOVDOCS?
GovDocs serves companies in building and executing their employment law compliance programs in two primary ways:
- Labor Law Posting Update Programs: We manage all the complexities of identifying and providing the necessary labor law postings from the 1,500-plus potential postings available across the U.S. and Canada. Using proprietary technology, we allow companies to manage, track and verify postings at each of their locations – including our patent pending PosterCheck℠. Our labor law posting update programs are used by nearly 20% of the Fortune 500 and 30% of the Fortune 50. We also provide this service to the U.S.’s second-largest payroll and HR provider.
- Employment Law Data Service: This is a first-to-market service starting with GovDocs Minimum Wage, which allows companies to identify and track which laws apply to their locations, then provides all relevant data to make decisions. This service was created in response to requests from some of our largest customers who recognized that employment law expansion across and variances between jurisdictions (federal, state, county and city) were too challenging to manually track.
GovDocs has grown revenue annually by 22% since 2008 with a 98% customer retention rate, primarily due to our labor law posting update programs – both retaining and obtaining customers from our competitors – as labor law posters are required by law, and every company has an existing provider.
Our data services are an entirely new line of business that gives us great growth potential to create a full Employment Law Management (ELM) platform. Within the first year of launch, we have several of the largest U.S. retailers and restaurants as customers.
EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE AT GOVDOCS
GovDocs works to balance our employee’s experience in four key areas:
- Strong, Supportive Culture: We strive to amaze customers and each other by embracing individual skills, being transparent about our strategy and goals, and actively supporting our culture.
- Work-Life Balance: We work when we are in the office and enjoy life outside – we will require urgency when needed, but we rarely ask for night or weekend work. We all love our summer hours to enjoy the beautiful, warm Minnesota season.
- Competitive Compensation: We keep a close watch on the market to ensure our salaries are competitive and every full-time employee has bonus opportunities on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Stability and Growth: As a privately held firm, we think in terms of 10 years or more. We are never racing to “meet a quarterly target,” but instead focus on how to methodically win in the long-term by investing in people, training and technology.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
We’re seeking an experienced legal professional to become our employment law evangelist, a passionate individual who can share his/her knowledge of the law and ensure GovDocs provides comprehensive compliance solutions to our customers – many whom are the largest employers in North America.
For our customers, this role will provide the thought leadership and insight to help them answer today’s complex compliance questions and proactively prepare for what potentially lies ahead.
For our team, this role will be the internal expert who will continue to expand our knowledge of employment law. For current laws, this includes the driving forces behind them, the intended employee protections and business impacts. For future direction, the individual will work with our Legislative Analyst to analyze possible trends at the federal, state and local levels.
For our product delivery, this role will provide the final assessment of the accuracy, completeness and compliance of content generated before release to customers. He/she will lead a team who performs the legislative analysis, research and data management.
For business success, this role is a member of the GovDocs leadership team to participate in setting strategy and ongoing objectives.
This is a full-time position in our Saint Paul, MN, office that reports to the VP, Operations & Finance.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Be an integral part of our public-facing presence by working extensively with our Marketing team in the following areas:
- Program development: Based upon knowledge of employment law trends, provide guidance on what topics/subject areas would be of most interest to customers
- Content or contributor identification: Provide employment law legislation information (trends, findings, etc.) that Marketing can utilize in webinars, infographics, blog posts, etc. Also, help identify and recruit guest contributors.
- Authoring original content creation: From topic selection to development of content for use in either blog posts, webinars and/or live presentations.
- Client Advisory Board (CAB) contributor: Our CAB members represent different industries, specialties and GovDocs products. They serve as an informal board of directors who advise us on strategy and product. This role will be a contributor to how we engage CAB members during bi-annual meetings, but also how we apply their experience to refine our knowledge of employment law.
- Representative at industry events: To represent GovDocs as a speaker, panelist, etc., at events attended by our current clients or prospective customers.
Bring employment law into the day-to-day functions of the GovDocs team to enhance our understanding and application to work
- Product development and enhancement: Working together with the Product team to provide perspective on what the law requires to be compliant and evaluating proposed products or features on whether they enable customers to be compliant with law.
- Education of internal team: Provide training customized to the departmental needs (e.g. current trends in litigation or rate of change in legislation for Sales team, specific requirements of law for postings for Design team, etc.).
- Counsel: Serve as the “final word” for any employment law compliance questions related to GovDocs products, especially in answering customer questions.
Ensure any product released to customers provides an accurate depiction of the underlying legislation.
- The role has a strong team of professionals who develop the processes, analysis and manage content. The Director will provide insight into employment law that may influence those practices so the team can adjust accordingly.
- Assess the final customer-facing content from the customer viewpoint to ensure we meet our objectives for a given product or service.
LEADING AT GOVDOCS
As in all leadership positions, the scope of the role covers business strategy, selecting near-term objectives for the business, building an effective department of people and processes. For this role, the focus is working with the team to ensure they have the insight into the law, resources and time to produce the high-quality content our customers rely upon.
EDUCATION AND STATUS
- J.D. required
- Admitted to any state Bar in good standing is the minimum requirement. Attorneys with multi-jurisdictional experience are preferred.
We are interested in candidates who have either stand-alone law firm or corporate backgrounds with 5+ years of post-JD legal experience focused primarily within Employment Law
- Desirable to have a minimum of 3 years of legal practice experience focused on providing as outside employment law counsel prior to any corporate experience
- Corporate roles focused on internal Employment Law counsel managing multiple jurisdictions
- Candidate must have generated a strong portfolio of original content (blog posts, presentations, etc.) and had speaking engagements
- Recurring participation in Employment Law professional organizations on either state or local level
- Significant experience with Employment Law in multiple U.S. states and local jurisdictions, experience with Canadian law should be noted
- Experienced in determinations if companies have been compliant with employment laws
- Ability to communicate complex legal matters to non-legal audiences
Business Delivery & Leadership
- Must have desire and interest to participate within an entrepreneurial setting that requires urgency, clarity and willingness to test new ideas
- Strong understanding of which communication tools should be used for most effectiveness
If you are interested in changing the employment law industry, learning more about the role and where GovDocs is going in the future, we encourage you to send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.