Posting Date: 3/18/2019
GovDocs serves companies in building and executing their employment law compliance programs in two primary ways:
- Labor Law Posting Update Programs: We manage all the complexities of identifying and providing the necessary labor law postings from the 1,500-plus potential postings available across the U.S. and Canada. Using proprietary technology, we allow companies to manage, track and verify postings at each of their locations – including our patent pending PosterCheck℠. Our labor law posting update programs are used by nearly 20% of the Fortune 500 and 30% of the Fortune 50. We also provide this service to the U.S.’s second-largest payroll and HR provider.
- Employment Law Data Service: This is a first-to-market service starting with GovDocs Minimum Wage, which allows companies to identify and track which laws apply to their locations, then provides all relevant data to make decisions. This service was created in response to requests from some of our largest customers who recognized that employment law expansion across and variances between jurisdictions (federal, state, county and city) were too challenging to manually track.
GovDocs has grown revenue annually by 22% since 2008 with a 98% customer retention rate, primarily due to our labor law posting update programs – both retaining and obtaining customers from our competitors – as labor law posters are required by law, and every company has an existing provider.
Our data services are an entirely new line of business that gives us great growth potential to create a full Employment Law Management (ELM) platform. Within the first year of launch, we have several of the largest U.S. retailers and restaurants as customers.
GovDocs works to balance our employee’s experience in four key areas:
- Strong, Supportive Culture: We strive to amaze customers and each other by embracing individual skills, being transparent about our strategy and goals, and actively supporting our culture.
- Work-Life Balance: We work when we are in the office and enjoy life outside – we will require urgency when needed, but we rarely ask for night or weekend work. We all love our summer hours to enjoy the beautiful, warm Minnesota season.
- Competitive Compensation: We keep a close watch on the market to ensure our salaries are competitive and every full-time employee has bonus opportunities on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Stability and Growth: As a privately held firm, we think in terms of 10 years or more. We are never racing to “meet a quarterly target,” but instead focus on how to methodically win in the long-term by investing in people, training and technology.
The Product Compliance Attorney is responsible for ensuring that all legislative and regulatory information provided to GovDocs customers – via labor law postings or data service (e.g. Minimum Wage) – is properly represented in a timely, accurate and complete fashion. It is a member of the Product Content and Compliance team that reports to the Director, Employment Law and Product Counsel.
When a client tells us, they rely on GovDocs for critical decision-making information, this role is part of the team that ensures that happens.
A key value we deliver to clients is tracking employment law legislation and regulatory changes and then providing that information based upon the impacted location and employees. This role will analyze changes to employment law legislation and regulation, assess required information revisions and approve the final information before updating our products.
This role will heavily interface with our Account Management and Sales teams to answer questions from existing and prospective customers. There is also a continuous connection with our Product, Design, Production & Fulfillment and Software Engineering teams to discuss, alongside our Legislative Analyst, the impact of changes on our product set.
This full-time position is in our St. Paul, MN office.
DESIRE TO BE AN EMPLOYMENT LAW ADVOCATE
As GovDocs is solely focused on employment law compliance, the Product Content and Compliance attorney must have an interest in and willingness to continually invest in his/her personal understanding of the complexities and challenges of employment law compliance for customers.
Product Content and Compliance
- Works with the Legislative Analyst to monitor both pending and passed legislation and regulations to understand the impact on compliance programs of companies and GovDocs products.
- Responsible for performing the legal analysis to ensure GovDocs products and services meet requirements to be compliant with the law. Provides compliance decisions to Product team who will execute all changes to GovDocs offerings.
- Participation in weekly meetings to determine how new information (postings, data, etc.) will be represented within our products.
- Responsible for determining, based upon passed legislation/regulations, if changes are necessary to GovDocs content management processes for monitoring, collection, recording and quality assurance. Work with the Product Content and Compliance, and possibly Software Engineering, to design and implement changes.
- Work with the Director to provide final approval of all content provided to customers via postings and data.
Support of Prospective and Existing Customers
- This role will regularly interact with customers; therefore, they must maintain a strong relationship with Client Service and Sales to ensure to understand and adopt the proper sense of customer urgency in order to prioritize work.
- Responsible for analyzing and responding to prospect or customer questions on both postings and data service that are related to GovDocs’ products.
- Responsible for understanding the legislation and regulation behind each of the GovDocs products and being able to explain our position to any customers.
- Responsible for evaluating what customer locations will be subject to a given jurisdiction
- May require analyzing individual customer information to determine appropriate assignment to the jurisdiction
- Will lead the development of written responses to customers and participate in calls with customers as needed. Will utilize internal tools to publish answers, so they can be leveraged for future discussions.
- To ensure we only represent our product set, this role will help educate internal teams on topics/questions that lie outside of the scope of GovDocs products and provide customers feedback on how to obtain information.
- Collectively works with Product Content and Compliance team to ensure processes and quality of the review is both efficient and effective. Work with Software Engineering and Technology Solutions teams to evolve both processes and technology support for the team – using either GovDocs’ proprietary technology or 3rd party applications.
- Maintains documentation for historical reference and evidence of decisions
- Becomes an active supporter and participant within the GovDocs culture, office activities and proactively builds strong working relationships with the broader GovDocs team.
- Continuously demonstrate the use of appropriate communication channels for the task and ensuring the proper team members are being engaged in decision making.
EDUCATION & STATUS
- J.D. required
- Admitted to any state Bar in good standing is the minimum requirement. Attorneys with multi-jurisdictional licensure is desirable, but not a requirement.
2-4 years of Employment Law practice, working either in-house or at a firm, with a primary focus on counseling corporate or municipal entities.
Multi-jurisdictional experience with employment laws preferred.
Employment Law Knowledge
- A critical requirement for the selected individual is a demonstrated dedication to continued learning of employment law. This role will have to maintain a strong awareness of the laws of the Federal, State and Local (county/city).
- Active participation in professional organizations (ABA, local bars, on either state or local level with primary focus on Employment Law development).
- Experience counseling companies on employment law compliance.
Counsel & Communication
- Ability to communicate complex legal matters to non-legal audiences
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Must have desire and interest to participate within an entrepreneurial setting that requires urgency, clarity and willingness to test new ideas
- Interest in delivery of product and working with customers
If you are interested in helping us to continually change the employment law management industry, please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.