Citing an increased number of women in the workforce and more single-parent households, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the Family Friendly Workplace Ordinance. The Ordinance, which takes effect January 1, 2014, allows workers in businesses with 20 or more employees to request flexible or predictable work arrangements to provide care for family members qualified under the Ordinance.
The Ordinance cited data pointing to a shift in both the workforce and in the family structure as the primary motivation for the Ordinance, citing:
- In 68 percent of families, married mothers work outside the home.
- 80 percent of parents in San Francisco living with at least one child under the age of five were employed outside of the home.
- 15 – 20 percent of households are run by a single parent.
- Half the mothers under the age of 30 are single.
The Ordinance defines family members as people related to the employee by blood, legal custody, marriage, or domestic partnerships, and can include:
- Children under the age of eighteen.
- People with serious health conditions in a family relationship with the employee.
- Parents (age 65 or older) of the employee.
To be eligible for flexible or predictable work conditions, employees must:
- Work in San Francisco
- Be employed for six months or more by the current employer
- Work at least eight hours per week on a regular basis
Employers have the right to refuse if the accommodation would place undue hardship on the business.
The Ordinance mandates that affected employers with 20 or more employees post the San Francisco Family Friendly Workplace in English, Spanish, Chinese, and “any language spoken by at least 5% of the employees at the workplace or job site.” The posting is offered in six languages, with English, Spanish, and Chinese being on one 8.5”x11” page.
GovDocs City Posting Compliance Program
GovDocs’ monitors more than 50 cities across the U.S. for postings required for employers by municipal agencies. As part of our Update Program, we provide employers who have 50 or more locations with ongoing compliance at all levels: city, state, and federal. Whenever a mandatory change occurs or, as in the case of the San Francisco Family Friendly Work Ordinance, if a new posting is released, GovDocs provides your locations in those affected geographies the most current posting automatically.