This position has been filled. Please visit our Careers page for other openings.
GovDocs serves companies in building and executing their employment law compliance programs in two primary ways:
- Labor Law Posting Update Programs: We manage all the complexities of identifying and providing the necessary labor law postings from the 1,500-plus potential postings available across the U.S. and Canada. Using proprietary technology, we allow companies to manage, track and verify postings at each of their locations – including our patent-pending PosterCheck®. Our labor law posting update programs are used by nearly 20% of the Fortune 500 and 30% of the Fortune 50. We also provide this service to the U.S.’s second largest payroll and HR provider.
- Employment Law Data Service: This is a first-to-market service starting with GovDocs Minimum Wage and including GovDocs Paid Leave App, which allows companies to identify and track which laws apply to their locations, then provides all relevant data to make decisions. This service was created in response to requests from some of our largest customers who recognized that employment law expansion across and variances between jurisdictions (federal, state, county and city) were too challenging to manually track.
GovDocs has grown revenue annually by 22% since 2008 with a 98% customer retention rate, primarily due to our labor law posting update programs – both retaining and obtaining customers from our competitors – as labor law posters are required by law, and every company has an existing provider.
Our data services are an entirely new line of business that gives us great growth potential to create a full Employment Law Management (ELM) platform. Within the first year of launch, we have several of the largest U.S. retailers and restaurants as customers.
GovDocs works to balance our employee’s experience in four key areas:
- Strong, Supportive Culture: We strive to amaze customers and each other by embracing individual skills, being transparent about our strategy and goals, and actively supporting our culture.
- Work-Life Balance: We work when we are in the office and enjoy life outside – we will require urgency when needed, but we rarely ask for night or weekend work. We all love our summer hours to enjoy the beautiful, warm Minnesota season.
- Competitive Compensation: We keep a close watch on the market to ensure our salaries are competitive and every full-time employee has bonus opportunities on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Stability and Growth: As a privately held firm, we think in terms of 10 years or more. We are never racing to “meet a quarterly target,” but instead focus on how to methodically win in the long-term by investing in people, training and technology.
The Compliance Paralegal will work on the GovDocs data service platform – which currently includes the Minimum Wage and Paid Leave applications – and support GovDocs postings program to ensure all legislative and regulatory information we provide to customers is timely, accurate and complete.
When a client tells us they rely on GovDocs for critical decision-making information, this role is one of the key players who makes that happen.
A key value we deliver to clients is tracking legislation changes that may impact employees. In addition, the in-depth information we provide helps them determine how to best apply the law. This role will independently conduct legal research, analyze, edit and manage legal data to support our labor law compliance platform, along with other projects as assigned.
The Compliance Paralegal’s scope includes working with the broader Compliance Team, Product Management and Software Engineering teams to expand our proprietary platform to create efficiency, documentation and accuracy within the team. The role will also support the Client Services team with customer inquiries.
This full-time position will work within an experienced team and reports to the Senior Counsel and Director, Employment Law & Compliance, in our St. Paul, MN, office.
- Consults with the Legislative Analyst to acquire the legislative information necessary to ensure minimum wage and paid leave legal data products accurately reflect current laws.
- Conducts legal research utilizing proprietary software to enter legal text, verify or edit labor and employment data in accordance with the legislation or regulatory information obtained from jurisdictions.
- Consistently learns on how to improve the department’s practices and decision-making to meet deadlines and enable better outcomes for clients – proactively anticipating and seeking solutions for issues and/or inefficiencies.
- Derives logical and accurate conclusions based on legal information analysis to ensure the legislation is properly reflected in our applications.
- Maintains quality of assigned content or data products with emphasis on accuracy, consistency in following editorial policies and the timely addition of new information.
- Ability to effectively use collaborative peer reviews to enhance our performance.
- Develops and reports metrics for tracking performance.
- Collaborates in process design and system enhancements, as well as new development, design and testing.
- Maintains documentation for historical reference and evidence of editorial decisions.
- Understands and independently manages timelines, often daily, for review and processing data and information.
- Adapts to frequent workload changes and adjusts priorities quickly as circumstances dictate.
- Supports the Director, providing information to respond to customer requests or inquiries.
- Becomes an active supporter and participant within the GovDocs culture and builds relationships with the broader GovDocs team.
- Additional projects as assigned.
DESIRE TO LEARN EMPLOYMENT LAW COMPLIANCE
As GovDocs is solely focused on employment law compliance, the Compliance Paralegal must have an interest in and willingness to continually invest in his/her personal understanding of the complexities and challenges of employment law compliance for customers.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree and Paralegal Certificate
- 1-3 years paralegal experience
- Legal research experience
- Working knowledge of legislative or regulatory process
- Experience in employment and labor law is preferred, but not required to apply
- Microsoft Office applications; NetSuite experience a plus
- Highly organized; detail-oriented to manage large sets of data from multiple sources
- Ability to quickly identify critical trends, as well as data inconsistencies
- Ability to work under strict deadlines and quickly reprioritize work
- Equally adept at working independently and in a team environment
If you are interested in helping us to continually change the employment law management industry, please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.