Posting Date: July 29, 2021
We believe that the best way for us to grow, is through a hybrid work environment that allows us more flexibility whereby employees can be together in the office where interactions can happen with higher frequency and effectiveness (collaboration and team-engagement) – especially when dealing with complex problems and business innovation, balanced with work-from-home where we have more focused, uninterrupted time with minimal distractions for dedicated project/productive work.
Best Places to Work 2021:
GovDocs has been named one of the 2021 Best Places to Work by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal!
Being named an honoree was no easy feat, as they received over 300 nominations for this year’s award. GovDocs was one of the top-scoring Minnesota businesses honored in the medium company category (50-250 employees) for creating a fun, challenging, and rewarding workplace.
We are excited to add a brand-new position for a full-stack software engineer to our growing team. We’re seeking candidates who care about building quality systems from React frontends to cutting-edge, modern, event-driven cloud architecture.
At GovDocs, every employee has the opportunity to contribute directly to success of the business. GovDocs is a founder-owned, local business proud to provide an amazing work environment with great people who give back to the communities they live and work in. Join us in solving real problems for real people.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Understands and makes well-reasoned design decisions and tradeoffs in their area; able to work in other areas of the codebase with guidance. Doesn’t flail while debugging.
- Persistent in the face of roadblocks; dispatches them efficiently, pulling in others as necessary.
- Requires minimal direction/oversight. End-to-end responsibility on projects of increasing complexity; contributes to common code.
- Looks at test cases and advises QA on adjacent code/regression impact.
- Understands the business supported by their Pillar or the Pillars they support
- Communicates technical decisions through design docs, tech talks, and the wiki
- Mentors junior engineers via pairing, design review, and code review.
- Demonstrates knowledge of industry trends, our infrastructure and our build system
- Delivers complex products to QA that they believe are well-baked and bug-free
- Partners with product and analytics and drive requirements that take into account all parties’ needs
- Possesses empathy with the user of the software they are producing and uses that empathy to guide decision-making
- Identifies problems/risks of own work and others.
- Communicates effectively cross functions; is able to work well with Product, Design, Analytics, etc., as necessary
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements (lack of clarity, inconsistencies, technical limitations) for their own work and adjacent work, and communicates these issues early to help course-correct
- 5+ years of experience
- Strong communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with serverless cloud software architecture concepts
- AWS (Lambda, SQS, SNS, S3) or equivalent GCP/Azure services
- Message queues and/or event busses
- Document databases (ideally MongoDB)
- Version control (git)
- CircleCI or similar CI/CD tools
- Agile development methodologies
- Test-driven development, pair programming, code reviews
This position is critical to the success of our business and the compensation package will be commensurate with candidate’s experience and skills. Compensation will include base salary and performance-based incentives. Benefits include paid vacation, paid volunteer time and paid holidays, medical and dental, and matching 401(k).
GovDocs serves companies in building and executing their employment law compliance programs in two primary ways:
- Employment Law Posting Service: We manage all the complexities of identifying and providing the required set of employment law postings from the 1,500+ potential postings across the U.S. and Canada. Using proprietary technology, we allow companies to manage, track and verify postings at each of their locations – including our patent pending PosterCheck technology. Our Employment Law Posting Update service is used by almost 20% of the Fortune 500 and 30% of the Fortune 100.
- Employment Law Compliance Software Solutions: This is a first to market Software-as-a-Service starting with our Minimum Wage product and Paid Leave products, which allow companies to identify and track which laws apply to their locations and employees, then provides all relevant data to make decisions. This service was created in response to requests from some of our largest customers who recognized that employment law expansion across and variances between jurisdictions (Federal, State and Local) were too difficult to manually track.
GovDocs has grown revenue annually by 20% since 2008 with a 96% customer retention rate, primarily due to our Postings Update Program both obtaining and retaining customers – as employment law postings are required by law, every company has an existing provider. Our Software Solutions are an entirely new line of business that gives us great growth potential to create a full Employment Law Compliance (ELC) platform of solutions, it is also challenging us to reinvent how we view urgency, innovation and teamwork.
Employee Experience at GovDocs
GovDocs works to balance our employee’s experience in four key areas:
- Strong, Supportive Culture: We strive to amaze customers and each other by embracing individual skills, being transparent about our strategy and goals, and actively supporting our culture.
- Work-Life Balance: We work when we are in the office and enjoy life outside – we will require urgency when needed, but we rarely ask for night or weekend work. We all love our summer hours to enjoy the beautiful, warm Minnesota season.
- Competitive Compensation: We keep a close watch on the market to ensure our salaries are competitive.
- Stability and Growth: As a privately held firm, we think in terms of 10 years or more. We are never racing to “meet a quarterly target,” but instead focus on how to methodically win in the long-term by investing in people, training and technology.
Send resume, salary requirements and cover letter to:
Location: St. Paul, Minn.
Department: Engineering and Technology