Posting Date: Sept. 20, 2021
We believe that the best way for us to grow, is through a hybrid work environment that allows us more flexibility whereby employees can be together in the office where interactions can happen with higher frequency and effectiveness (collaboration and team-engagement) – especially when dealing with complex problems and business innovation, balanced with work-from-home where we have more focused, uninterrupted time with minimal distractions for dedicated project/productive work.
Best Places to Work 2021:
GovDocs has been named one of the 2021 Best Places to Work by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal!
Being named an honoree was no easy feat, as they received over 300 nominations for this year’s award. GovDocs was one of the top-scoring Minnesota businesses honored in the medium company category (50-250 employees) for creating a fun, challenging, and rewarding workplace.
Read more about GovDocs as Best Places to Work 2021 here.
Are you an experienced software engineering leader looking for a new opportunity? GovDocs is looking for an experienced, driven, and capable Software Engineering Manager to lead our growing development team.
GovDocs is not a large company, but we have some very big clients, and they demand quality SaaS solutions. Our primary product offering is our Employment Law Compliance platform, and our Software Engineering team is responsible for building, enhancing, and supporting it. A successful candidate for this position will have a strong technical background, a deep understanding of agile software development practices, a passion for mentoring and teaching, as well as strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
In This Role You Will:
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the software engineering team and provide guidance and technical leadership
- Work with the Product team, scrum master, QA, and internal business stakeholders to validate technical delivery requirements and help refine stories for development
- Assist direct reports with their professional development through mentoring, regular 1:1 sessions and impromptu coaching
- Manage team members with varying skill sets, experience levels and areas of technical focus
- Participate in and occasionally facilitate Scrum ceremonies such as refinement, sprint planning, and retrospective
- Solicit feedback from engineers regarding timelines, scope, blockers, technical debt opportunities, and prioritization of stories in order to facilitate successful releases
- Help with recruiting, screening, and growth of software engineering team
- Lead your team in delivering drama-free, high-quality, regular releases that meet business needs with minimal downtime or customer impact
- Communicate team needs, concerns, and other relevant information to upper management
Desired Experience and Skills:
- 3+ years of software engineering management experience overseeing teams of 3-5+ engineers
- Proven track record of managing engineering teams and delivering high quality software.
- Experience in Agile software methodologies
- Experience with Agile lifecycle development and tracking software such as Jira for task management and Git for source control.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills, a proactive and detail-oriented person and a strong team-oriented attitude.
- Ability to analyze business goals and drive the team accordingly to build/design software to meet the goals.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Ability to help break larger project requirements down into workable stories for iterative delivery of features
- Experience with AWS and MERN stack a plus
This position is critical to the success of our business and the compensation package will be commensurate with candidate’s experience and skills. Compensation will include base salary and performance-based incentives. Benefits include paid vacation, paid volunteer time and paid holidays, medical and dental, and matching 401(k).
GovDocs serves companies in building and executing their employment law compliance programs in two primary ways:
- Employment Law Posting Service: We manage all the complexities of identifying and providing the required set of employment law postings from the 1,500+ potential postings across the U.S. and Canada. Using proprietary technology, we allow companies to manage, track and verify postings at each of their locations – including our patent pending PosterCheck technology. Our Employment Law Posting Update service is used by almost 20% of the Fortune 500 and 30% of the Fortune 100.
- Employment Law Compliance Software Solutions: This is a first to market Software-as-a-Service starting with our Minimum Wage product and Paid Leave products, which allow companies to identify and track which laws apply to their locations and employees, then provides all relevant data to make decisions. This service was created in response to requests from some of our largest customers who recognized that employment law expansion across and variances between jurisdictions (Federal, State and Local) were too difficult to manually track.
GovDocs has grown revenue annually by 20% since 2008 with a 96% customer retention rate, primarily due to our Postings Update Program both obtaining and retaining customers – as employment law postings are required by law, every company has an existing provider. Our Software Solutions are an entirely new line of business that gives us great growth potential to create a full Employment Law Compliance (ELC) platform of solutions, it is also challenging us to reinvent how we view urgency, innovation and teamwork.
Send resume, salary requirements and cover letter to: