LABOR LAW NEWS
3 Best Practices for Managing Employees Across Multiple Locations
By Kelsey Basten
Published on July 27, 2017
If you work for a large company, you understand that managing employees across multiple locations is tough. You may deal with issues like internal miscommunication, confusion or misinterpretation of company policies and loss of productivity.
However, there are steps you can take to minimize or avoid these management problems. Check out these 3 Best Practices for Managing Employees Over Multiple Locations:
1. Set clear expectations
Create a set of clear, standard expectations for employee behavior, regardless of location. This ensures all employees understand what they’re supposed to be doing from the very beginning, which will lead to more efficient and consistent work.
Some areas to set expectations include:
- Company values, culture and goals
- Company policies
- Flexibility of work hours
- Paid time off
- Paid/unpaid sick leave, etc.
- Employee communication
- And more!
2. Utilize Technology
Technology can be a useful tool when managing employees at multiple locations. Here are a few ways you can use technology to manage employees:
- Employee time and attendance tracking
- Intranet sites for posting company documents, news, etc.
- Video and phone conference calls
- Employment law data apps (Such as GovDocs Minimum Wage)
Bringing employees together through technology creates a community working toward a single goal, rather than single locations focusing on separate company goals.
3. Establish and Maintain Open Communication
Establish a communication plan to ensure your locations feel connected to the rest of the company. Also, establish an “open communication” policy that gives your locations clear directions on how to keep in contact with the corporate office.
The following items manage and maintain communication:
- Technology (as mentioned above)
- Regular location visits from managers or company leadership
- Employee training, including new employee orientation and ongoing employee education
- Monthly company policy updates for all employees
These three best practices for managing employees across multiple locations can help your company become one integrated team. Keep these in mind as you continue to strengthen and maintain your company culture.
with GovDocs Labor Law News
Who is GovDocs?
GovDocs is one of the leading providers of labor law compliance products and services in North America, serving 263,000 employment locations in the U.S. and Canada. More than 20% of Fortune 50 companies rely on us to keep their locations compliant.