LABOR LAW NEWS
New Jersey Bans Breastfeeding Discrimination
By Kelsey Basten
Published on February 6, 2018
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed an amendment to the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination Jan. 8, 2018 that immediately bans discrimination against breastfeeding employees.
Under the amendment, employers may not:
- Refuse to hire breastfeeding applicants
- Fire breastfeeding applicants or otherwise discriminate against them in compensation and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment because they are breastfeeding
- Treat female employees “affected by breastfeeding” less favorably than other employees
Also, unless employers can prove “undue hardship” on their business, the amendment requires them to provide reasonable accommodation for breastfeeding employees, The accommodation must include a private location near the work area and a reasonable break time each day for the employee to breastfeed or express breast milk.
- Accommodation hardships will be considered based on the: Size of the business, facilities and budget
- Type of business operations, such as composition and structure of workforce
- Nature/cost of the accommodation
Last, the law does not require employers to pay female employees while they are breastfeeding, unless they are already compensated for breaks.
with GovDocs Labor Law News
Who is GovDocs?
GovDocs simplifies the complexity of employment law management (ELM) for large, multilocation employers across all industries. We offer a suite of innovative compliance products, including labor law postings, data software applications and other program management tools, to ease the day-to-day responsibilities of human resources, compensation, legal and finance teams.
Have less than 30 locations?
The GovDocs Poster Store simplifies the complexity of posting compliance for employers with less than 30 locations across all industries. We offer a variety of posting products to meet your labor law compliance needs, including federal and state posters; county and city poster packages; and other HR posters. Plus, when you purchase posters with GovDocs Update Service, you ensure your locations automatically receive updated posters whenever changes occur.