Beginning September 2016, employers with locations in Plainfield, New Jersey, will need to offer workers paid sick time under a new ordinance. Workers may use accrued time to care for themselves or family members for mental or physical illness or injury.
Plainfield Paid Sick Time Accrual and Usage
- Accrual Rate: One hour for every 30 hours worked beginning the first day of employment.
- Accrued Time Usage: Employees can use accrued time beginning 100 calendar days after beginning employment.
- Annual Accrual Cap
- 10 or more employees: 40 hours
- 9 or fewer employees: 24 hours
- Annual Accrued Time Carry-over: Regardless of business size, workers may carry over up to 40 hours of accrued paid sick time from one calendar year to the next.
- Employee Separation: Employers do not need to pay out unused accrued time at employee separation.
Plainfield Paid Sick Time Posting and Notice Requirements
New Employee Notice: Employers must provide new workers with a notice that the City will develop, which describes their right to paid sick time.
Posting: The City will develop a notice that employers must display in a conspicuous location in English and in any language that is the first language of at least 10 percent of the workforce. According to the ordinance, the City will provide the posting in English and Spanish “and any other languages deemed appropriate”.
GovDocs clients with locations in Plainfield that are subscribed to our corporate-level Update Program will automatically receive the posting once it is released by the City.
Considering the number of municipals paid sick leave and minimum wage laws, our Update Program is really the perfect way for large, multi-location companies to manage their posting compliance program efficiently.
Contact us for more information about how we can help eliminate barriers to total posting compliance for you!