EMPLOYMENT LAW NEWS
Spanish Version of Revised FMLA Posting Released
Published Sept. 25, 2013
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) has issued the Spanish version of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) posting.
After revising the English version of the FMLA posting in February 2013 to include important changes regarding the expansion of coverage of job-protected FMLA leave for families of eligible veterans and airline personnel and flight crews, the (DOL) has released the Spanish-language version.
The Spanish version is strongly recommended for employers with Spanish-speaking employees who are subject to the FMLA (“covered employers”):
- Private employers with 50 or more employees
- Public agencies
- Public or private elementary or secondary schools
The English-language FMLA posting is required for all covered employers who have any employees eligible for FMLA leave. Covered employers also must provide employees with the same posting information through an employee handbook or other written materials to explain leave and benefits.
What Changed in the 2013 FMLA Posting?
The most significant changes were:
- Inclusion of language in the Military Family Leave Entitlements section that describes the Act’s expanded coverage for employees who provide care to injured or ill veterans no longer in active military service
- Clarification that FMLA definition of “serious injury or illness” may differ from “serious health condition”
- Added flight crew employees who meet specific requirements to employees eligible for FMLA benefits and protections
This Employment Law News blog is intended for market awareness only, it is not to be used for legal advice or counsel.
with GovDocs Employment Law News
What is GovDocs?
GovDocs simplifies employment law compliance for large, multi-jurisdiction employers in the U.S. and Canada. The GovDocs software platform integrates three solutions in one convenient place to help you master the employment laws impacting your business. Whether you manage a postings, minimum wage or paid leave program, our products cut through research time, provide proactive insights into the everchanging landscape of employment laws and reduce the risk of noncompliance. The company is headquartered in Eagan, Minn.
The GovDocs Poster Store simplifies posting compliance for employers with less than 30 locations across all industries, offering a variety of posting products to meet your labor law compliance needs.